Thursday, January 28, 2010

One Swift Sniff of Satisfaction.

My daughter melts me. One swift sniff and some primal well, dug in the pit of my soul, is filled. 10 weeks ago, I knew nothing of essence. Current day, I crave it. The soft spot on the top of her head seems to radiate it. My nose, buried deep in her neck soaks up the sweet scent of mothers milk, warmed by her need. My soul warmed by my natural ability to provide. I have never known a relationship so tender, so balanced, so satisfying. Love. True, unbiased primal love given equally by both parties. From day one, I have trusted my daughter to show me the way. I trust her instincts as I trust my own. Prior to her birth, I never pondered deeply on gender. From the first moment I learned her gender, I knew my life was changed forever. My love for my own mother has expanded immensely. Late at night, as I lay with my lips contoured to the shape of my sweet baby's head, I suddenly understand everything my mother has ever done for me. Every bedtime story, every hug, every caress. I understand the selflessness. The natural drive to protect. I truly am no longer one person. From this point forward, I am less me. Yet with my daughter, I am so much more. Back to those moments where her body once again fits into my curves, I am reminded of the experience that lives within both of us. The roots that bond us so deeply. She has attended the most extreme event that has ever happened to me. She IS that event. That event created her attendance. This amazing circle fills my thought process as I try to understand this on even the most basic level. During the early weeks of motherhood, I found myself filled with amazement that I have a daughter. A daughter. A little girl. In the midst of trying on the little phrases that go with being a mother, saying that I have a daughter brings me back to that well. Filled, spilling with the prospects of what it means to be a mother.

1 comment:

  1. I shouldn't have read this on my first day back to work! It's beautiful and perfect.

    ReplyDelete